Lets Read Ready Player One Chapter One
Welcome to Ready Player One chapter one! Wherein we get worldbuilding regarding Wade and his life, and we make a bit of progress in terms of plot!
Noted during reading
- First chapter in Level 1. level page has quote from the book Anorak’s Almanac mentioned in the first chapter. Sounds either kiddy or pretentious. Or both.
- Why do so many people live in Protagonist’s aunt’s trailer?
- Takes a few pages before we get the protagonists name, and I wasn’t sure if we ever would.
- Plus typical superhero name: alliterative, which is mentioned in the book.
- Lots of info about his childhood.
- Eyes kinda glazed over the “Here’s the deal…” bit.
- Wow, BOTH parent’s dead.
- starting to get Harry Potter-y, inc moving in with aunt – thought it was a night over or something at the start of the chapter.
- At least The Hunt gives him a purpose.
- Yeah, really HP-y with aunt and her behaviour.
- Has a hideout, fortunately. The stacks sound kinda cyberpunky with elements of Solarpunk (I think, I originally noted it as “greenpunk” in my notes as I couldn’t remember the term “Solarpunk”)
- Oooh! original trailer parks were overwhemed!
- And this place isn’t unique.
- Anyway, why would people move TO metropolises after oil and crises? Work? Energy? Nowhere else to go? I don’t know.
- Gunters have a rite of passage? Not like ARGs, but kinda make sense. ARGs don’t really have (or had) them. ARGs were more ephemeral I guess.
- Nice, he does have people hat are nice to him.
- Hope nothing bad happens to Mrs G.
- Didn’t have to wait long to see the hideout.
- plus, goes to school here (since he mentioned going to school earlier)
- Uses bike to power batteries – smart.
- Oh nice – his login phrase is from the Last Starfighter game from the 80s film The Last Starfighter. Great film.
- Chapter ends with a title drop of the book/novel.
Mainly worldbuilding, meeting the protagonist, setting the stage. Defintely pushing the boundary on 80s references (not gone over for me….yet). No footnotes, thankfully.